Hey guys. I thought I would share with you everything I acquired while at YALC this year. If you didn’t know, YALC stands for Young Adult Literature Convention and it takes place over three days every July. This year was the first time I had been in 3 years, and I was so excited to finally go back. I ended up acquiring more than 20 books over the three days. Without further ado, here is everything I got.
First, the books that I bought.
- I got Forest of a Thousand Lanterns by Julie C. Dao, Before I Let Go by Marieke Nijkamp and The Last Summer of the Garrett Girls by Jessica Spotswood from the Melia Publishing Services stand because they were giving away a free ARC with every purchase.
- I got Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor and The Memory Fire by Callie Bates from the Hodderscape stand because I have other books in both of those series, and Hodderscape were giving away a free gift if you bought 2 books.
- The Reluctant Journal of Henry K Larsen by Susin Nielsen and Manfried the Man by Major and Bastow were both impulse purchases at the end of day three. The Reluctant Journal was only £1!
- I’ve been meaning to buy Cloaked in Shadow and Found in Night by Ben Anderson for ages, so when I saw that they were selling them at the Of Tomes Publishing stand and that Ben was there and willing to sign them, I knew I had to get them.
- Finally, I picked up Jinxed by Amy McCulloch because she was at the something stand signing copies, so once again, I knew I had to get it.
Now, all the books I got for free
- I got two free finished copies at YALC. I won Neverworld Wake by Marisha Pessl in a lucky dip type thing at the Scholastic stand, and my boyfriend bought me a copy of It Ends With You by S. K. Wright after we went to the panel she was on and she completely sold me on her book.
- I got You Only Live Once by Jess Vallance at the Hot Key Books stand. I went up and asked how to win it and they just gave it to me.
- My most exciting ARC of the weekend was Devoted by Jennifer Mathieu. I had to tell the BKMRK stand what I’m devoted to for this one. I didn’t even know it was going to be there but I’m so happy I got it.
- Undead Girl Gang by Lily Anderson, Girl Made of Stars by Ashley Herring Blake and Lies You Never Told Me by Jennifer Donaldson were the ARCs I got for buying 3 other books at the Melia Publishing Services stand.
- Emily Eternal by M. G. Wheaton was my free gift from Hodderscape. This one sounds so interesting, I can’t wait to get to it.
- HarperCollins were just giving out Sawkill Girls by Claire LeGrand at one point, and the only reason I managed to get it is because 3 very popular authors were signing at the same time so everyone was in queues.
- I got Easy Prey by Catherine Lo and Ginger Kid by Steve Hofstetter from the Abrams & Chronicle Books. They just had them in a big bucket for anyone to take.
- Finally, I won The Deathless in a raffle from the HarperCollins stand. I arrived too late to get the ARC I really wanted, but this one still sounds interesting.
Were you at YALC? What books did you get? Let me know in the comments below!